SWIS is offering a free info session for newcomer parents (3 years and less in Canada) on Communication with schools & parent/teacher meetings and interviews is this Saturday, November 4th at the Public Library meeting room from 10:00 to 12:00 !
This free presentation is for parents of students from junior kindergarten to grade 12 who have been in Canada for 3 years or less and who are enrolled in the Yellowknife SWIS program (interested clients must register to SWIS program BEFORE registering for the event). All immigration status are welcome.
This is not a drop-in event, registration is mandatory.
Content of the presentation
· Importance of school /parents communication and parent involvement in the school life of their children;
· School procedures for communication with parents;
· Communication with principal(s), teacher(s) and other school staff;
· Meet the teacher(s) nights and teacher(s) presentations (What to expect. What you should ask);
· Strategies for getting the most out of Meet the Teacher(s) Night;
· School confidentiality;
· YK schools districts parent/teacher meeting dates
· Videos: presentation 1: Examples of individual discussion between parents and teachers (in English)
· Videos presentation 2: Informative presentation about Parents-Teacher(s) interview nights for elementary and high school presenting actual images of a school parent teacher(s) event (available in many languages).
The meeting will also provide a great opportunity for newcomers to talk with other families who have recently arrived in Canada.
Do not hesitate to contact me for further information.
Thank you for your precious collaboration,